Being at home

While the summer holidays continue for fellow beer blog contributors (which essentially means Addie is continuing his habitual idleness, just in a different place) I thought I'd have a little look at some of the bottled treats now available in most of the big name supermarkets.

These days, there is certainly more on offer than I recall from my more youthful days. It took me a long time to discover I was an ale drinker, and like many a twenty-something I have consumed a great deal of cold, fizzy, big-brand lager; thirst quenching but ultimately unsatisfying. So it's possible that I took less notice of the treasures on offer for home consumption. But a trip into my local Sainsburys these days reveals a selection as rich as I've ever seen. There are bottles from some of the main, well known brewers, but to their credit Sainsburys has been unafraid to present some less well known selections from London and the home counties.

With the Paralympics about to make us proud to be Londoners on the world stage for the second time in just a few weeks, I thought I'd try Greene King's London Glory at 4.0%. Being at home, it meant I could use my Great British Beer Festival glass, and the combination of easy going but flavoursome beer and cheerful glass made me happy. A conventional but enjoyable classic, it gets seven out of ten from me.

So, Addie. Are you getting a nice selection from that little grocers near the beach? PiƱa Coladas ok are they? Lovely. Just like the real thing.

Comments